Friday, April 8, 2011

Block of the Month - Hidden Stars

I wanted to share something that I am working on that I think that you are going to like.  My LQS has a BOM from Marti Michell.  At first I had a little trepidation on working on this as it is a little too traditional of a quilt for me.  But........I did want to work with templates.  Plus, I would be picking out my own fabric.  Hmmmmmmm..........

I happen to be in love with Amy Butler Fabrics and thought that this would be a great time to bring them out.



Aren't these just the yummiest group of fabrics.  They span several of Amy's collections but the colors are all meant to work together.  They would be challenging fabrics to work with because of the size of the pieces in the block, but, oh so very cute!!

The pattern that we are piecing cannot be purchased from Marti Michell's website.  It is meant to be made as a BOM.  It requires two sets of templates, which are made with exceptional eye to detail.  All of the corners have been cut so that you will not have any cat ears after piecing.  I also chose to buy the Half Square Triangle Ruler to make the triangles easier to cut.

I have finished the first block for class 2, which is next week.  Two things that I learned after  making this block.
  • My background fabric is really light and very hard to distinguish the right from the wrong side.  In couturier sewing the tailor always makes marks on the wrong side of the fabric.  This is not a bad idea.  One that I will be using from now on as I sewed one piece in upside down.
  • My aching arm after the first class from toting in all of my yardage to pick just a teeny tiny bit for my block was plain crazy.  I cut fat quarters from all of my yardage and steamed it all here at home so that I don't have to spend my class time doing that.  Now I only have to take a little bit of fabric to class.


This is all of the fabric that I will not be carrying to class!!

Now.............Drum roll please!!!

Here is my completed first block!!




I have a Flickr group for all of the ladies that are participating in this BOM.  It is called Quilter's Workshop Sampler Studio. The link is here.  Please feel free to share your blocks, fabrics, comments or whatever.

If you are interested in being able to participate in this BOM, please contact either Sam or Diana at The Quilter's Workshop, here.  Patterns are provided and are made to be kept in a binder.

More to come about what else I am working on.  Since I am unemployed, most of my days are about sewing (after looking for a JOB).

Happy sewing!  Peace

Kris






No comments:

Post a Comment