Monday, April 18, 2011

Spring Napkins with Mitered Corners

I saw this fabric on-line recently and it was speaking to me!!  Hmmmmmm....  Hello, we are your new spring napkins!!  The fabric is Oval Elements by Pat Bravo for Art Gallery Fabrics.  I bought the fabric at this Etsy shop!  Nicole and Sue were super nice and from the time I purchased until I received, was only 3 days.


Here are all fourteen colors of the Oval Elements by Pat Bravo for
Art Gallery Fabrics.  Yummy!!  I have photographed it here on my mantel
with some Bunnies and Sheep!

I love these dots and think that they are just scrumptious. Of course, I am having a love affair with dots and believe that they are the perfect neutral.

I bought a yard of each of the 14 colors.  I just love these colors and they just remind me so much of Spring, jelly beans and Easter candy, spring flowers and little girls in their smocked dresses.  I actually wish I had more than a yard each.




These are the colors that I am going to use to make the napkins.  Look
for the post tomorrow with the completed napkins.


I like my napkins big.  If the fabric is 45" wide then I can get two from wof.  Each square will be 22". I found an excellent tutorial about mitered corners here.  This tutorial teaches you the concepts and you just have to determine how big you want your turn under or hem to be.  I like mine about 3/4 - 1". 

The other super important thing is to stitch really close to the edge.  Nothing says homemade like stitching 1/8 of an inch or more from the edge.  This is a skill worth practicing. 

The only other thing left to talk about is if you are going to pull a thread to cut these or will you use your rotary cutter and cut a 22" square?  I am divided on this.  I worked in a drapery workroom in high school and we pulled threads on everthing except prints.  I sometimes do when making napkins because if the print is too far off grain they are hard to iron into submission. 

On these napkins I am just going to cut them with my rotary cutter.  I am making 8 for me and 8 for my sister and I want to pop them in the mail tomorrow.

Happy Sewing!!

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment