Monday, April 18, 2011

A little project for your aching back!

I have a lumbar support pillow that I bought at Aveda years ago.  I like to use it in the small of my back.  It is plain, looks just like unbleached muslin with no embellishments.  My daughter also likes it.  I thought I would improve on it and make one that my daughter would love.  I cut two pieces of fabric 5 1/2" wide x 17 inches long.  I wanted the fabric to be more substantial, so I added some batting and just did parallel rows of stitching in a varigated thread.  Once that was done I just put right sides together and stitched leaving an opening for beans.

Here is my daughter's adorable lumbar pillow!!  She really likes
peace signs.  In the foreground there is also a little coaster that I made for her.
Don't you just love my Ginghers in this picture too?


We used navy beans to fill it because that is what I had in my pantry.  The cool thing about these is that you can microwave them for a minute or two and and then place on your aching neck or whatever area ails you it conforms to your body.  Instant Relief. 

I plan on making another pillow this week with the following changes.  I am going to use piping for a more polished look and round the corners to make it easier to insert the petite piping.  I would also leave the opening off center so I could fill it half way and run a stitch halfway down the piece.  
Hope you all love this little project.  It would make a great gift for a graduating senior or a teacher's gift.  I keep one in my house and another in my car.  You never know when your back or neck will start aching.

Happy Sewing! 
Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment